Instructor Development Course & Certification
Scuba Instructors are valued and respected throughout the diving industry for their knowledge, skills and abilities as experts. As such, they are authorized and can be approved to teach every level of diving in which they possess the training, knowledge and experience. They are also allowed to develop their own "instructor specified" specialty courses. If you are someone who seeks even more adventure and specialization, becoming a scuba instructor provides pathways to gaining Public Safety Diver, Technical and Freediving Instructor ratings.
The Kent Island Scuba Instructor Training Course (ITC) is designed to train and qualify NAUI Instructor member applicants. During the course, candidate instructors learn effective methods to teach skin and scuba diving in compliance with NAUI diving course standards.
The course assures candidates who receive certification as Instructors have the knowledge, skills, fitness and proper attitude to do so.
Qualifications of Graduates
- Certified NAUI Instructor coursegraduates are qualified to apply for NAUI Instructor membership in any status provided for in the bylaws of the association.
- An active-status NAUI Instructor may independently teach NAUI sanctioned courses and authorize NAUI certification for graduates. An active-status NAUI Instructor may independently conduct NAUI recognition and experience programs and authorize formal recognition for graduates.
- An active-status NAUI Instructor who completes a NAUI-DAN First Aid Instructor orientation, who has completed all required NAUI-DAN orientation modules and is using the NAUI-DAN training and support materials, may teach the NAUI-DAN First Aid programs.
Prerequisites for Entering the Course
- Minimum age is 18 years by the water phase of the course.
- Current certification as a NAUI Assistant Instructor or NAUI Divemaster or other agency leaders.
- Current certification in NAUI First Aid for Dive Professionals or equivalent.
- Current certification in NAUI Oxygen Provider or equivalent.
- Certified as a NAUI Nitrox Diver or equivalent.
- A minimum of 60 logged open water scuba dives with a minimum of 30 hours bottom time. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth, and activities.
- Instructor candidates must pass the NAUI Instructor Prequalification Examination prior to the start of the ITC.
- Medical Approval - Verification of good physical condition as documented by a medical examination and unconditional approval for diving by a licensed physician within the preceding 12 months.
- Materials - Contact the NAUI Training Department for current requirements.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
- Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device